OF MODEL SCHOOLS
A PBS:MTSS Model School is one that has met specific criteria and has reported innovative, creative, and functional ways of supporting PBS:MTSS in their respective school. Specific characteristics of PBS:MTSS Model Schools are their consistent methods of: (1) utilizing their data to better serve the students and staff, (2) teaching PBS:MTSS to new students throughout the school year, (3) creative and engaging reward systems, (4) extending PBS:MTSS throughout the campus and partnering with the community and parents, and (5) including PBS:MTSS into daily activities across all available teaching opportunities. PBS:MTSS Model Schools have made a commitment to both PBS:MTSS and to their schools and it shows!
Criteria for becoming a PBS:MTSS Model School in Florida includes all of the following:
- a high Benchmarks of Quality score indicating fidelity of SWPBS implementation as entered into Florida’s PBSES,
- outcome data (Mid-Year and End-of-the-Year Reports, including Benchmarks for Advanced Tiers) submitted by deadlines via PBSES, and indicating progress (see application for details),
- confirmation recommendation from District Coordinator and FLPBS:MTSS Project staff,
- completed on-line 2013-2014 PBS:MTSS Model School Application and submitted electronic artifacts within the specified timeframes via the Model School web portal,
- artifacts only needed if applying for Silver or Gold Levels, and
- completed and submitted the Tier 1 PBS Walkthrough form for the current school year into PBSES, by a peer PBS:MTSS Coach or District Coordinator supporting the BoQ score within the specified timeframes.
The purpose of the FLPBS:MTSS Project’s Model School program is to identify schools that exemplify best practices in the implementation of positive behavior support systems. FLPBS:MTSS Model Schools may serve as demonstration sites for other schools looking to implement a multi-tiered intervention approach for behavior, and may also contribute to the field of PBS:MTSS implementation through their development of knowledge or resources. FLPBS:MTSS Model Schools are recognized at three levels:
Bronze-Level Schools report a comprehensive system of support at Tier 1. Critical elements of Tier 1 PBS:MTSS are implemented with fidelity, and data are utilized within a problem-solving framework in order to improve the outcomes of students. Bronze-Level schools have developed innovative, creative, and functional ways of implementing Tier 1 PBS:MTSS that set them apart from other schools.
Bronze-Level applicants must complete sections 1 and 2 of the Model School Application and meet all other required criteria.
Silver-Level Schools report all of the characteristics of Bronze-Level schools and implement with higher levels of fidelity. Visibility, political support, parent involvement, and funding strategies are in place to ensure continued success with their MTSS implementation efforts for behavior. Silver-Level schools “drill down” into their data to ensure that their Tier 1 system is effective for all groups of students, and have taken steps to build systems of support for behavior at Tier 2.
Silver-Level applicants must complete sections 1-4 of the Model School Application, submit 1-2 electronic artifacts (8 Mb file size limit) that showcase Silver-Level characteristics, and meet all other required criteria.
Silver-Level Artifacts May Include but are NOT Limited to:
- Products used to build parent, community or political support for MTSS for behavior
- Products used to solicit funding for MTSS for behavior activities
- Evidence of behavior strategies used to address needs of specific groups of students
- Products used as part of Tier 2 behavior interventions
- Evidence of “drilling down” into school behavioral data
Gold-Level Schools report all of the characteristics of Bronze- and Silver-Level schools, implement with the highest levels of fidelity, and have developed systems of support at Tiers 2 and 3. Gold-Level schools exceed their peers in both the quality and depth of implementation across all three tiers of support. Practices that are consistent with positive behavior support are evident in decision making, and steps are taken to ensure PBS:MTSS systems are supported. Positive outcomes for students are evident at Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 levels of behavior support.
Gold-Level applicants must complete sections 1-6 of the Model School Application, submit 1-2 artifacts (8 Mb file size limit) that showcase Silver-Level characteristics, plus submit 1-2 artifacts (8 Mb file size limit) that showcase Gold-Level characteristics, and meet all other required criteria. Schools are limited to a total of 4 artifacts that showcase both Silver- and Gold-Level characteristics.
Gold-Level Artifacts May Include but are NOT Limited to:
- 1-2 artifacts showcasing Silver-Level characteristics AND
- Examples addressing systems-level behavior issues at Tier 2 and/or Tier 3
- Evidence of formalized policies/procedures that help ensure support of MTSS for behavior implementation above & beyond foundational Tier 1 supports (across Tiers 1-3)
Importance of Outcome Data & Demonstrating Student Outcomes:
The PBS:MTSS Model School Application, Tier 1 PBS Walkthrough, and artifacts (only needed if applying for Silver or Gold-Levels) should reflect the current school year (2013-2014). Responses should be brief, but informative and reflect growth in PBS:MTSS implementation across years by documenting and submitting new evidence of meeting specified criteria according to the respective award level. Duplicate answers for any application questions may result in the application being ineligible for further review. Answers must address the specific question or topic presented within the question to be eligible for complete review.
- Outcome data (ODR/100, ISS/100, and OSS/100) as reported via PBSES will be used to evaluate responses to 13-14 Model School Application Submissions.
- This requires all Mid-Year and End-Of-Year data to be complete (no missing data) and accurate.
- If outcome data reported in PBSES are missing and/or do not correspond to answers submitted within the Model School Application, the application will be ineligible for further review.
The PBS:MTSS Model School Application and artifacts (only needed if applying for Silver or Gold-Levels) are to be entered on-line via the Model School web portal between June 16 and September 1, 2014 for consideration. Tier 1 PBS Walkthrough must be entered by Coach on-line via PBSES along with other end-year evaluation data due June 15, 2014. There is a 2000 character limit per text box within the application and although the system will accept any file type for artifacts, there is an 8 Mb file size limit per file.
All information must be entered on-line. Submitting the Model School Application, Tier 1 PBS Walkthrough, and/or artifacts via hard copy or other means will NOT be processed. In addition, any submitted documentation is subject to posting on FL PBS:MTSS website.
When clicking on the Model School Application icon (top right corner of this page), the applicant will be directed to a login page where current PBSES username and password is required. Applicants will follow the instructions provided within the system to complete the Model School Application questions and uploading of artifacts (if applying for Silver or Gold-Levels). Although the system will accept any file type, there is an 8 Mb file size limit per file.
Applicants will receive a confirmation email once submission is complete. Changes to the current entry can be made June 16, 2014 through September 1, 2014. After September 1, 2014, the system will close with no additional submissions or changes to existing applications permitted. Applicants will have access to previously submitted Model School applications starting with the 11-12 Model School cycle.
If you have any questions, please contact your PBS: MTSS Coach, District Coordinator or FLPBS: MTSS Project Consultant.
Click here for the recorded online chat reviewing the 13-14 Model School Application. Click here to download the corresponding PowerPoint to this webinar.
Click here for a brief demonstration of the on-line PBS Model School Application.
Tier 1 PBS Walkthrough | 2013-2014 Model School Application
THE PBS MODELSCHOOLS FOR 2012-2013 ARE THE FOLLOWING