OF MODEL SCHOOLS
A PBS:MTSS Model School is one that has met specific criteria and has reported innovative, creative, and functional ways of supporting PBS:MTSS in their respective school. Specific characteristics of PBS:MTSS Model Schools are their consistent methods of: (1) utilizing their data to better serve the students and staff, (2) teaching PBS:MTSS to new students throughout the school year, (3) creative and engaging reward systems, (4) extending PBS:MTSS throughout the campus and partnering with the community and parents, and (5) including PBS:MTSS into daily activities across all available teaching opportunities. PBS:MTSS Model Schools have made a commitment to both PBS:MTSS and to their schools and it shows!
Criteria for becoming a PBS:MTSS Model School in Florida includes all of the following:
- a high Benchmarks of Quality score indicating fidelity of SWPBS implementation as entered into Florida’s PBSES,
- outcome data (Mid-Year and End-of-the-Year Reports, including Benchmarks for Advanced Tiers) submitted by deadlines via PBSES, and indicating progress (see application for details),
- confirmation recommendation from District Coordinator and FLPBS:MTSS Project staff,
- completed on-line 2014-2015 PBS:MTSS Model School Application and submitted electronic artifacts within the specified timeframes via the Model School web portal,
- artifacts only needed if applying for Silver or Gold Levels, and
- completed and submitted the Tier 1 PBS Walkthrough form for the current school year into PBSES, by a peer PBS:MTSS Coach or District Coordinator supporting the BoQ score within the specified timeframes.
The purpose of the FLPBS:MTSS Project’s Model School program is to identify schools that exemplify best practices in the implementation of positive behavior support systems. FLPBS:MTSS Model Schools may serve as demonstration sites for other schools looking to implement a multi-tiered intervention approach for behavior, and may also contribute to the field of PBS:MTSS implementation through their development of knowledge or resources. FLPBS:MTSS Model Schools are recognized at three levels:
Bronze-Level Schools report a comprehensive system of support at Tier 1. Critical elements of Tier 1 PBS:MTSS are implemented with fidelity, and data are utilized within a problem-solving framework in order to improve the outcomes of students. Visibility, political support, parent involvement, and funding strategies are in place to ensure continued success with their MTSS implementation efforts for behavior. Bronze-Level schools have developed innovative, creative, and functional ways of implementing Tier 1 PBS:MTSS that set them apart from other schools.
Bronze-Level applicants must complete sections 1 and 2 of the Model School Application and meet all other required criteria.
Silver-Level Schools report all of the characteristics of Bronze-Level schools and implement with higher levels of fidelity. Silver-Level schools “drill down” into their data to ensure that their Tier 1 system is effective for all groups of students, and have taken steps to build systems of support for behavior at Tier 2.
Silver-Level applicants must complete sections 1-4 of the Model School Application, submit 1-2 electronic artifacts (8 Mb file size limit) that showcase Silver-Level characteristics, and meet all other required criteria.
Silver-Level Artifacts May Include but are NOT Limited to:
- Products used to build parent, community or political support for MTSS for behavior
- Products used to solicit funding for MTSS for behavior activities
- Evidence of behavior strategies used to address needs of specific groups of students
- Products used as part of Tier 2 behavior interventions
- Evidence of “drilling down” into school behavioral data
Gold-Level Schools report all of the characteristics of Bronze- and Silver-Level schools, implement with the highest levels of fidelity, and have developed systems of support across all tiers. Gold-Level schools exceed their peers in both the quality and depth of implementation across all three tiers of support. Practices that are consistent with positive behavior support are evident in decision making, with positive outcomes for students evident at Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 levels of behavior support.
Gold-Level applicants must complete sections 1-6 of the Model School Application, submit 1-2 artifacts (8 Mb file size limit) that showcase Silver-Level characteristics, plus submit 1-2 artifacts (8 Mb file size limit) that showcase Gold-Level characteristics, and meet all other required criteria. Schools are limited to a total of 4 artifacts that showcase both Silver- and Gold-Level characteristics.
Gold-Level Artifacts May Include but are NOT Limited to:
- 1-2 artifacts showcasing Silver-Level characteristics AND
- Examples addressing systems-level behavior issues at Tier 3 (intervention fidelity check forms, data reports listing number of students receiving support/number making progress, etc….)
- Evidence of student progress with Tier 3 supports (graphs showing student progress, data analysis charts, print outs from data systems used to track response to intervention)
Importance of Outcome Data & Demonstrating Student Outcomes:
The PBS:MTSS Model School Application, Tier 1 PBS Walkthrough, and artifacts (only needed if applying for Silver or Gold-Levels) should reflect the current school year (2014-2015). Responses should be brief, but informative and reflect growth in PBS:MTSS implementation across years by documenting and submitting new evidence of meeting specified criteria according to the respective award level. Duplicate answers for any application questions may result in the application being ineligible for further review. Answers must address the specific question or topic presented within the question to be eligible for complete review.
- Outcome data (ODR/100, ISS/100, and OSS/100) as reported via PBSES will be used to evaluate responses to 14-15 Model School Application Submissions.
- This requires all Mid-Year and End-Of-Year data to be complete (no missing data) and accurate.
- Verify your data before the close of End Year Evaluation as changes or edits to data in PBSES ARE NOT PERMITTED during the Model School Application period (June 16-September 1).
- If outcome data reported in PBSES are missing and/or do not correspond to answers submitted within the Model School Application, the application will be ineligible for further review.
The PBS:MTSS Model School Application and artifacts (only needed if applying for Silver or Gold-Levels) are to be entered on-line via the Model School web portal between June 16 and September 1, 2015 for consideration. Tier 1 PBS Walkthrough must be entered by Coach on-line via PBSES along with other end-year evaluation data due June 15, 2015. There is a 2000 character limit per text box within the application and although the system will accept any file type for artifacts, there is an 8 Mb file size limit per file.
All information must be entered on-line. Submitting the Model School Application, Tier 1 PBS Walkthrough, and/or artifacts via hard copy or other means will NOT be processed. In addition, any submitted documentation is subject to posting on FL PBS:MTSS website.
The system is currently not accepting Model School Application Submissions at this time. However, you can access previous applications submitted and check award levels. The online Model School 2014-2015 Application will be available for schools meeting pre-requisite criteria from June 16 through September 1, 2015 via the Model School web portal. All eligible applicants must have completed the application via the Model School web portal and submitted necessary supporting documentation by September 1, 2015 for consideration. After September 1, 2015 the system will not accept additional submissions or changes to existing applications.
If you have any questions, please contact your PBS: MTSS Coach, District Coordinator or FLPBS: MTSS Project Consultant.
Click here for the recorded online chat reviewing the 14-15 Model School Application.
Click here to download the corresponding PowerPoint to this webinar.
Click here for a brief demonstration of the on-line PBS Model School Application.
Tier 1 PBS Walkthrough | 2014-2015 Model School Application
THE PBS MODELSCHOOLS FOR 2012-2013 ARE THE FOLLOWING